Monday, April 5, 2010

Two Old Women

This book was probably one of the easiest readings that we have had to do for the class. I also enjoyed this book more than the others so far. This story was interesting in that it was the most like the Native American stories I have heard, in that it has a moral to the story. The other books we have read so far are just written by Native Americans, this one has the feel of a real Native story. I found it mean that the group of nomads left the two old women to fend for themselves, but I also understand the decision because the group did it to survive. I feel that if I were in the situation I would have had a hard time leaving them there, knowing that they were almost certainly goners.
I also think that if the two women were my relatives I would have left them things behind, just like Ch'idzigyaak's grandson left his ax for the women. If I didn't leave anything for my relatives I would feel horrible and probably be haunted of the decision to leave them there.
One of my favorite parts of the book is when the two women hunt a moose. I get the funniest picture of old women sneaking up on a huge moose and then ambushing it and chasing it around. Knowing my grandma's I don't think they would ever be able to get the guts to do something like that.
The last thing that I like about this book was that there was actually a happy ending to it, all the other books we have read have been dark and had unhappy solutions for the most part. These two women are pretty bad ass in my opinion.

1 comment: