Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Place In The Sun

This movie was probably the longest that we have watched all semester. Although it was a long movie, it was full of interesting things. One of the things that I payed attention to while watching the film was the use of music and sound. While listening I found many interesting things. After watching the movie I felt as if George could have done many different things to have got himself out of trouble.
The sounds and music used in this film were used in a very interesting way. Overall, this movie was pretty quiet except for certain scenes that used dog barking and sirens. Other than those two noises, there really wasn't much going on audio wise. Music was another thing that was used uniquely. The times that music was played when George was around his relatives and the rich people, it was classic slower music. This was probably done to show that these people were sophisticated and used to the finer things in life. When George was with Alice though, the music was of a different genre. Instead of slow classical music, it was fast paced, upbeat popular music being played. This was probably done to show that these people were younger and had a different kind of likes and did not feel like they had to stand for the moral standards of others.
Of all the characters in the film, I did not like George, I guess he rubbed me the wrong way. Even at the beginning I did not like him. When he first walked in in that ugly suit he was slumped over. This drove me crazy because I hate it when people slouch when they walk. The other thing was the suit, I could not get over how bad it looked.
As the movie progressed, I grew to dislike George even more. I thought that George should have followed the rules that were set at work and not got involved with Alice. Later, after the two got serious George should have ended the relationship with Alice as soon as he started seeing Angela. People that can date two people at the same time are horrible and selfish.
I also feel that if George would have talked to his Uncle about the situation, he would have been on his side. His uncle really liked George's work and wanted him to be successful at the company. It seems to me that George's uncle would have kept George on after the situation, maybe demoted him, and then fired Alice. These are just things that I thought might happen from watching how people interacted during the movie.
Overall, I thought this film was pretty good. The only thing that I would have liked to be different was the outcome of the case. If I was on the jury I would have had to say not guilty because there was reasonable doubt, or at least the way the movie went there was. It was possible she hit her head on the boat and drowned. George is not responsible for saving her life, even though it would have been the nice thing to do.

1 comment:

  1. Those are good comments about the film's use of sound, Kyle. The outcome of the case still gets debated from time to time, and there did seem to be reasonable doubt despite his strong motive for killing her.

    ReplyDelete